Kijabe and Back and Then to Mali

After venturing to Kijabe, Kenya, East Africa with my husband in 2006, I embarked on an even greater adventure in 2007. I took two mission trips to a remote village in Mali, West Africa in both July and September with some women from church. Here's a bit of my story.

Name:
Location: Northwest Arkansas

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Daily Living

Every Saturday morning, vendors come to the door, selling fresh vegetables, fruits, wood carvings, scarves, and various other crafts and wares. This small Kenyan woman had beautiful scarves, and I purchased the one that she is showing me in the picture.









We had all the comforts of home; well, almost -- no dishwasher and no clothes dryer. The little kitchen was very functional, and Ruth and I had many enjoyable times fixing meals and doing dishes together. The kitchen wasn't much bigger than what you see in the picture. Three was definitely a crowd. After Ruth purchased fresh veggies and fruits for the week, we'd wash them thoroughly and prepare them for refrigeration. Avocados and mangoes were very inexpensive, so we enjoyed them regularly. Potatoes dug fresh from the ground taste so much better than what we get in the States.

With no clothes dryer at the house where we lived with Ruth and Rich, I reverted to my childhood days when I helped my Mom hang clothes on the line outdoors. Some of the homes have clothes dryers and TVs, and where we will be living the rest of our stay in Kijabe has both.

Gotta go take the clothes off the line!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ginger,
I just got a chance to "catch-up" on your diary. all I can say is Wow! What an experience, and the pictures are great! So beautiful there. I'm really impressed you figured out all that computer stuff too!
Take care,
Love, your California cousin, kay

6:56 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ginger,
You have done a great job with the pictures ... lot's of fun to see and they bring back memories... oh for a nice sweet mango and a samosa! Thanks for keeping us up on how everything is going. Praying for you.
Mary D.

11:27 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home