Kijabe and Back and Then to Mali

After venturing to Kijabe, Kenya, East Africa with my husband in 2006, I embarked on an even greater adventure in 2007. I took two mission trips to a remote village in Mali, West Africa in both July and September with some women from church. Here's a bit of my story.

Name:
Location: Northwest Arkansas

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Missionary Hearts

My Dad would have been 96 today. And my Dad would also have been very pleased that Gene and I are in Kijabe on a ministry assignment. Though my Mom and Dad never travelled outside the borders of the United States (except for one trip to British Columbia), they were missionaries in their hearts, always supporting with their money and prayers. From about 1945 to 1953, Mom and Dad rented the upstairs bedrooms of our old house in Wheaton, Illinois to Wheaton College students. My guesstimate is that 90% of those students went to the mission field, and a large number of those kept in touch with "Mom and Pop Schwepker." I believe that Mom and Dad prayed regulary for the missionaries in their lives, and after Mom went to Glory, Dad continued supporting and praying. Were Mom and Dad missionaries? Absolutely! As we should all be, since being a missionary isn't defined by where we are or where we go, but by the message we share -- that God so loved everyone so much that He gave His only begotten Son, Jesus Christ, to die for our sins, and whoever believes in His name will never perish but live forever with Him in Heaven. The missionary message -- one which Dad shared, even in the last hours of his life. Thank you, Daddy, for your missionary heart!

Here in Kijabe, Saturday mornings are busy. Before 7:00 am, Kenyan women patiently wait outside the door of our house here until Ruth opens the curtains. They politely knock, and present their fresh fruits and vegetables, which Ruth purchases for the coming week. On their heels, other "vendors" arrive with flowers, wood carvings, art work and jewelery -- all peddling their wares to buy food for their families. Because they speak English, I found it enjoyable to participate in this process with Ruth.

This morning we attended the Africa Inland Church here in Kijabe. Most of the service was in English, but a few of the choruses were sung in Swahili. Nonetheless, I found myself being encouraged as I participated in worship, in spite of the language difference. How great is our God!

I've made progress on getting my photos ready so I can upload a few to share with all of you. Maybe tomorrow! Until then, kwaheri!

2 Comments:

Blogger Hokule'a Kealoha said...

It sounds like you had a lovely Lord's day. Looking forward to your next report and the pictures!

7:12 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

uopco
Oh my dear friend, what a wonderful reflection on your parents and their missionary hearts. What a sweet memory. I love reading each of your blogs and praying for you and Gene. I must tell you I am a bit envious of your experience, especially being guided by Ruth and Rich.
My love to all,
Michele of the Texas Mccunes

12:18 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home