Kijabe and Back and Then to Mali

After venturing to Kijabe, Kenya, East Africa with my husband in 2006, I embarked on an even greater adventure in 2007. I took two mission trips to a remote village in Mali, West Africa in both July and September with some women from church. Here's a bit of my story.

Name:
Location: Northwest Arkansas

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Hakuna Matata . . . this IS Kenya!

Don't worry, be happy. Sawa sawa. Yes, this is Kenya. Unpredictable!

We made our trip to Nairobi. I had my trusty laptop in hand, ready to upload pictures. We ate lunch at Java House with Richard and he took us to Eric and Kara's home (other friends from Southern California) to visit them and their two little girls, and to blog and upload pictures. But, the power in their section of Nairobi was out for the whole day. I was "powerless" to do anything . . . all puns intended! Sorry. No pictures again and probably not for a while, as I do not know when we will get to Nairobi again. Perhaps next week I can hitch a ride with one of the doctor's wives as she goes to town, but that's unknown.

But aside from that fiasco, our trip to Nairobi was fun. Eric and Kara showed us their ministry at West Nariboi School in Karen, a suburb of sorts on the west edge of Nairobi. A very beautiful campus, nestled up against the national park reserve. Eric is a teacher and helping expand the school to include high school, adding 9th grade next year as a starter. Their two little girls are 3 and 9 months -- "Hello, Grandma and Grandpa Pfau." (I sure wish I could have uploaded the picture of the girls. Sigh.)

One of the purposes of our trip to Nairobi was so that Richard could purchase a new stove! Yep. Richard lost . . . but then again, maybe he won. At any rate, with stove loaded in the back of the Corolla station wagon, we battled big diesel smoking semi-trucks (lorries) and the heavily loaded matatus (not to be confused with matata, as in hakuna matata) out of Nairobi and up the hill to Kijabe. If you don't look at oncoming traffic, it's not a bad drive at all! We passed one lorrie, slowly chugging up the hill, with a bicyclist hanging on to the back for a free ride up the hill. Turning from the main road to come down into Kijabe, we nearly had lamp chops for dinner. Further down, a cow grazed precariously on a narrow ledge just above the road. We could have had prime rib!

It's nearly bedtime here. Gene's back in the classroom tomorrow, and we have another trip to Mama Chiku's tomorrow afternoon with the last group of students. In addition, we've met many missionary couples who are working either long term or short term in the hospital or at Moffat. It's been a privilege to visit with them. One of the short termers is a doctor from Maryland. She works intensive care. Lee and I plan to start walking together as many times a week as possible, which is a challenge at 7000 ft. elevation.

Tomorrow when I'm more alert, perhaps I can paint some word pictures for you since I can't show you any real photos for now. Hakuna matata!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ginger -
What happened to dad's missionary mechanic skills? Hope the new stove works! Sorry you can't upload pictures ... sounds like life in Africa. Tell everyone Hi for me. Wish I could be there with you all.
Mary D.

12:12 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ginger,
I can sure picture where you've been, even without the pictures, but of course I have an advantage of most having been there. It sure brings back many great memories. We continue to pray for you all.
Karen E.

10:06 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home