Kijabe and Back and Then to Mali

After venturing to Kijabe, Kenya, East Africa with my husband in 2006, I embarked on an even greater adventure in 2007. I took two mission trips to a remote village in Mali, West Africa in both July and September with some women from church. Here's a bit of my story.

Name:
Location: Northwest Arkansas

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

No Pictures yet

I'm so disappointed that I still haven't been able to upload pictures. I got advice from one of you that I thought would do the trick, but alas . . . it didn't work. So, I'll try to connect with the IT guy here or someone who blogs and see what they do.

In the meantime, Gene started teaching today. The class is a fine group of 10 Kenyan students who are finishing their first year of Bible college. Gene went to the dining hall and ate lunch with them so he could begin connecting with them right away. I sat in on the class and perhaps will do so regularly. After class, I returned to the house and put the new bedding we brought with us on the beds in the upstairs bedrooms, hung new curtains in one of the bedrooms, and Ruth and I made an apple crisp.

Tonight Ruth is meeting with a group of missionary ladies in one of their homes, Gene's getting ready for tomorrow, and Rich is fixing the oven that only lights when it wants to. I'm not sure who will win!

So, until I can upload pictures or something exciting happens . . . like another trip to Nairobi . . . I may have to do something to manufacture some excitement!

It's an interesting experience to get used to using Kenyan shilllings instead of US dollars. I went to the business office at the hospital today to convert dollars to shillings and I came away with 20,700 shillings. Sounds like I'm rich, right? It was only $300 US. So when Ruth and I went to a little duka (little store), we spent 3700 shillings. It's a shock to my American blood, until I stop and convert it.

Next week Gene and I are going to take his class (in several small groups) up to the dukas here in Kijabe, to a little restaurant (of sorts) called Mama Chica's and treat them to chai or some kind of soda -- just to get to know them. It's nothing to look at from the outside, but a lot of the missionaries go there to eat regularly and we've heard it's a good place to eat. I'll let you know.

Okay, have I filled up enough space to count this as a blog post? Our love to you all.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hokule'a Kealoha said...

oh that exchange rate fun but be carefull or you wiil over spend... its a bit like play money....

10:15 PM CDT  
Blogger Hokule'a Kealoha said...

Thunderstorms here today. Cool and Green. We are praying for you

10:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home