Kijabe and Back and Then to Mali

After venturing to Kijabe, Kenya, East Africa with my husband in 2006, I embarked on an even greater adventure in 2007. I took two mission trips to a remote village in Mali, West Africa in both July and September with some women from church. Here's a bit of my story.

Name:
Location: Northwest Arkansas

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Things I Enjoy

Along the side of my grandmother's house on McNamee Street in Pagedale, Missouri, grew the prettiest little pink flowers. When I asked my mother what they were, she said, "I don't know. We've always called them 'Mommy Flower' because mom's always had them in her yard." (By the way, if you know what they really are, let me know.)

I forgot about the Mommy Flower until I visited a cousin years later. Walking in Karen's yard, she showed me her Mommy Flower, which was taken from a shoot off the original plants in our grandmother's yard. She gave me some starts to take home with me to California and for years, I enjoyed seeing the Mommy Flower bloom every spring. It brought special pleasure and memories to me, especially after my mother passed away.

When Gene and I moved to Northwest Arkansas two years ago, I brought the Mommy Flower with me, and in spite of neglect, hot sun and cold winters, my Mommy Flower blooms cheerfully in a large pot by our driveway in Bella Vista.

I enjoy our backyard and the relaxing, refreshing view from our screened porch. As I type this even now, a summer rain refreshes the thirsty plants and trees. The birds rejoice. The sound brings memories of playing in the rain as a child, of helping Mom grab clothes off the line as an unexpected shower closes in, of walking down the road, yes, gettin' soakin' wet.


I enjoy -- no, I thrill -- to see our American flag waving majestically in the breeze. I am proudly blessed to live in this country, and am embarrassed by those who detest her land and abuse her shores.

I thank God for our men and women who fight for our freedom, and trite as that may sound to some, I am proud of them.

I enjoy rain!

Thank You, Lord, for the rain --
its cleansing flow that cascades from the heavens
to refresh a dusty, thirsty world below.

Thank You, Lord, for the rain --
its gentle drops that quench the flowers and trees,
its sudden downpours that demonstrate Your power.

Even as You care for the lily of the field and giant redwood trees,
so you care for me,
quenching my thirsty heart
and refreshing my parched and lonely soul.

Water my garden, Lord. The seeds of joy turn dormant,
waiting for Your touch to waken life
and stir the blossoms of desire and delight.

Thank You, Lord, for the rain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home