Kijabe and Back and Then to Mali

After venturing to Kijabe, Kenya, East Africa with my husband in 2006, I embarked on an even greater adventure in 2007. I took two mission trips to a remote village in Mali, West Africa in both July and September with some women from church. Here's a bit of my story.

Name:
Location: Northwest Arkansas

Monday, August 06, 2007

Gourment Dining


There's no fast food dining in the village, though we dined quite well, in spite of the fact that we didn't have running water or electricity.

Venturing into the heart of the village, we were invited into the courtyard of one of the families where the ladies very willingly showed us how to pound millet. The little boy in this picture could hardly wait to show me up as he prepared to pit his skill against mine . . . and don't ask who won!



These young ladies, however, were gracious to not overdo their amusement at my feeble attempt to accomplish what they do with such ease and grace.



Preparing dinner at Grace Point Inn wasn't as easy as popping something in the microwave, but with the willing hands of Kari Jo and Djenneba working together, and thanks to the cooking skills of Souhad, our Malian translator, we ate some very delicious, gourmet meals.


Souhad knew how to season food to the perfect taste, was expert at cooking over a charcoal fire, and spoiled all of us with her kind heart and bright smile.

We fell in love with her, and we became her friends as well. We've kept in touch thanks to email, and hopefully, she'll travel to Arkansas to see us one of these days

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I do enjoy reading your stories. You are such a good writer. You need to write a book or join with me and write something. I would really like to do that. The ups and downs of being 60. What a great trip you had. Let me know when you are off to Africa. I want to go!! I have read all of your "blogger"- pictures are great and everything is great!!

6:03 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home